Historical, Crystal Palace built by Prince Albert, Husband of Queen Victoria
Published by London Printing and Publishing Company
Paper Size: 270 x 185mm
Print Size: 150 x 220mm
Condition: Good steel Engraving
Technique: Steel Engraving
Description: Steel engraving coloured
"The Crystal Palace", named by the "PUNCH" magazine once it was built, is a huge glass and iron structure that was built by Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria in 1850, for the Great Exhibition held in London's Hyde Park in 1851.
The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry, was the first International Exhibition of manufactured goods.
The building was designed by Paxton, a famous gardener of the time, who experimented extensively with his glasshouse design. it turned out to be a simple and brilliant design of the times. This simple design allowed 18,000 panes of glass to be installed in a week allowing the structure to be completed in just 5 months.
In 1852, it was agreed that Hyde Park should be returned to its original state but that the Crystal Palace should be preserved.
Because of its simple structure, the building was moved to Sydenham Hill in South East London and reconstructed in just 5 months. It was placed in gardens and was surrounded by vast gardens designed by Edward Milner.