Architecture, Spanish Renaissance, Plate 2, Santiago, Hospital, de Los Reyes, Catholicos, Facade of the Palace Cogolludo, GuadalaJara, , Guadalajara and Santiagos
Hospital, de los Reyes, Catholicos, Santiago and Facade of the Palace Cogolludo, GuadalaJara, Plate 2, Guadalajara and Santiagos
Renaissance Architecture and Adornment in Spain
Between the years 1492 and 1558
Artist: Prentice Andrew, Architect, measured and drawn by
Publisher: Batsford, BT
Paper Size: 340 x 470mm
Print Size: 260 x 380mm
Condition: Very good. Normal paper aging qualities
Technique: Original lithography
Plate 2 Santiago. Hospital de los Reyes Catolicos
ACCORDING to the Latin inscription’ over the Renaissance portal at the centre of this façade, the hospital was built 1501-11. The bust of the King is placed in the spandril of the arch, and the two large square panels on either side of the entrance bear the arms of Castille. The statues in the niches represent Adam and Eve, the twelve Apostles, and various saints, surmounted by richly carved canopies with terminations in the form of six angels holding musical instruments.
The façade is built of grey granite, crowned with a beautiful chain cornice, enriched with grotesque gargoyles. A striking feature is the projecting balcony running the entire length of the building and supported by carved stone corbels connected with enriched panels, but these are hardly so refined in execution as the central doorway. Three of the windows on the principal floor, surmounted by small figures and fruit ornaments, appear to be of later date than the rest of the building. The original windows were probably similar in design to that on the left hand of the façade.
The roof of the lantern to the central chapel is seen over the doorway, as shown in the drawing.
Plate 3, Guadalajara Gaudolludo
PLATE III. SANTIAGO. Hospital de los Reyes Catolicos. Detail of the Patio
The plan of this great building (a small sketch of which is given on this plate) is similar in many respects to that of the Hospital of the Holy Cross at Toledo. It was designed by the same architect, Henrique de Egras, and like the Toledo example, it is in the form of a cross. Of the four patios, the elevation shown in this plate is probably the best and purest in style. It is built of hard grey granite, and the design and ornament seem appropriate to the material. The two inner patios are Rococo in style, with Doric columns, and have central fountains of the same period.
To read about Andrew N. Prentice click here