Architecture, Spanish Renaissance, The Cathedral, Santiago, Elevation of Library to the Plaza de la Plateria, Plate 1
Renaissance Architecture and Adornment in Spain
The Cathedral, Santiago Plate 1, Elevation of Library to the Plaza de la Plateria, Santiago
Between the years 1492 and 1558
Built by: Don Alonso de Fonseca, bishop of Toledo in 1533
Artist: Prentice Andrew, Architect, measured and drawn by
Publisher: Batsford, BT
Paper Size: 340 x 407mm
Print Size: 270 x 385mm
Condition: very good. Normal paper aging qualities
Technique: Original lithography
The Cathedral, Santiago, Façade of Library
This façade fronts the Plaza Plateria and forms the outside portion of the Cathedral Cloister. It was built in 1533 by Don Alonso de Fonseca, afterward Archbishop of Toledo, whose library was contained in the upper portion of the building, lighted by the row of arcaded windows shown in the sketch.
The enriched resting, over which are seen the two western towers of the Cathedral, is built of grey granite. Many of the shops of the “Plateros” or silversmiths, engaged in making ornaments and candelabra for the use of the church, remains at the present day under the arched openings on the ground level.
The detail of the front is reined, while the carvings, especially the heads in circular plaques, display much spirit. The interior of the great cloister is Gothic, mixed with Renaissance detail, and the whole work was probably designed by the architect Covarrubias.
To read about Andrew N. Prentice click here